The walk-in cooler is essentially the heart of any restaurant. It keeps the food fresh and protected from any foodborne illnesses. A broken walk-in cooler could cost your business thousands of dollars because all of the food could go bad—plus, you would most likely have to shut down business for the day without any product to sell. Proper maintenance of your walk-in cooler is crucial to ensuring that it functions well, in addition to helping you avoid costly emergency walk in cooler repairs in Delaware.
Here are a few simple maintenance steps to take to keep your walk-in cooler running well for years to come:
- Keep it clean: Luckily, it only takes a few ingredients to clean a walk-in cooler. Soap and water are the best ways to thoroughly clean your unit, as harsh cleaning chemicals could damage the metal surfaces. In addition to regular cleaning, take the time to immediately wipe away any spills to prevent them from freezing and causing permanent damage. Your cleaning routine should also include the areas on each side of and underneath the walk-in cooler.
- Monitor temperatures: Any experienced kitchen staff knows that well maintained temperatures are crucial to ensuring your food stays fresh and free of any foodborne illnesses, such as salmonella. But inconsistent temperatures can also be an indicator that something within your unit just isn’t working properly. It’s best to contact a professional for commercial walk in cooler repairs in Wilmington, DE if you notice your cooler is failing to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Regularly check condenser coils: Condenser coils should be on the top of your list when it comes to maintaining your walk-in cooler. A clogged coil can result in the compressor overheating, which means your whole refrigeration system could fail and leave your food vulnerable.
- Clean evaporator fan coils and blades: Maintaining the evaporator fan coils and blades is one job that should be left to the professionals. A technician experienced with walk-in coolers can easily find any damage or recommend replacements as needed.
- Keep cold air in: Properly functioning door seals are your first line of defense when it comes to keeping the cold air inside where it belongs. Inspecting the seals approximately four times a year will ensure that your food stays properly cooled. This is also a great time to lubricate the hinges.
- Schedule regular maintenance from a professional: Scheduling an annual maintenance check from a professional technicians who handles walk in cooler repairs in Delaware will give you the peace of mind that everything is functioning properly and your items are well protected. A professional can easily identify any damaged areas or vulnerable points, which can cut down on costly emergency repairs.
The professionals at Commercial Equipment Service have been providing the highest quality service when it comes to commercial restaurant cooling and refrigeration equipment for over 30 years. Call us today to schedule your annual maintenance appointment, and protect yourself against the need for walk in cooler repairs in Delaware.